CATAGEN helps automotive OEMs meet emissions targets faster and with higher accuracy and flexibility with our unique OMEGA technology which can replicate engine flow rates, temperatures and gas compositions for any kind of engine. Accredited by UK Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) and Applus IDIADA.
Following significant R&D, CATAGEN uses its proprietary toolset (that has unrivalled levels of repeatability, accuracy and control globally) to provide our partners with unique data so they can develop their vehicles with the best calibration and thus optimised emissions.
CATAGEN offers tailored services to support OEMs to meet emissions compliance, manage development issues with the catalyst ageing process and manage cost implications such as PGM prices.
AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY CHALLENGES
The protection of air quality and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions is a priority globally.
CATAGEN conducts all Catalyst Ageing and Characterisation at full scale on engine after-treatment systems using internationally patented technology; a Synthetic Gas Recirculating Reactor. The CATAGEN OMEGA & OMICRON Test Vehicles and the CATAGEN facility are approved by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) for accelerated catalyst ageing. We have also supported OEMs with type approval for the US (EPA & CARB), Indian and Chinese regulators.
Types of Catalyst Ageing include:
- Full Useful Life Ageing for European, Federal and Rest of World (ROW) markets.
- On Board Diagnostic (OBD) Limit / Threshold Catalyst Ageing for European, Federal and ROW markets.
Improvements over other Ageing methodologies are:
- ‘Reproducibly’ Aged Catalyst hardware
- Planned Availability to start Ageing and testing (within 4-6 weeks of ordering)
- Robust Ageing Cycles for catalyst hardware (including gasoline particulate filters), that enables accelerated product development and time to market.
- Daily reporting and project completion test reports of high data quality & value for calibration, benchmarking & homologation purposes.
- Value for Money
- Fuel and CO2 Savings
CASE STUDY: DATA DRIVEN REPLICATION OF A CATALYST
- CATAGEN toolset was used to generate catalyst hardware aged equivalently to a bespoke customer ageing protocol, with the added benefit of a reduction in ageing time.
- This can have a positive impact on the number of hours needed to age the catalyst and the associated cost reduction
- However, we had to be sure that speeding up the process will not affect the quality of our services and our data.
- The CATAGEN toolset, specifically the CATAGEN Ageing Metric, was used to quantify the bespoke customer ageing experience.
- An equivalent CATAGEN ageing cycle was specified and executed with industry leading control and repeatability.
- The CATAGEN Ageing Metric was used to specify the ageing approach with a 25% time reduction over the customer cycle (295 hours vs 400+ hours).
- We achieved it in a shorter timeframe than on the customer test bench, due to increased ageing temperatures and extended, uninterrupted ageing phases (up to 175 hours per phase in this case).
- Ageing was complete with high repeatability and accuracy on the OMEGA test vehicle, with catalyst equivalency validated on the customer test bench.
CASE STUDY: AFTERTREATMENT AGEING
Manufacturers are required to meet increasingly stringent levels of legislation with regard to aftertreatment performance for the full life of their vehicles. Performance emulation historically takes the form of a combustion process to deliver an accelerated ageing profile. Some of the challenges include:
- a large amount of fossil fuel to age a single aftertreatment system
- CO2 footprint
- energy efficiency
CATAGEN’s services utilise the OMEGA patented technology during the ageing and analysis process to deliver step change gains in these keys areas.
- CATAGEN’s Recirculating Reactor offers a fuel-efficient alternative to conventional methods – we don’t use a combustion process.
- Emission Reduction
CATAGEN has consistently delivered projects to customers that have demonstrated significant reduction in fuel usage, delivering up to a 98% improvement on CO2 emissions footprint with over 70% less energy used overall.
Fuel and energy efficiencies also deliver a significant difference to the bottom line of project costs.